Epiphone AJ-220SCE Solid Top Cutaway Acoustic / Electric Guitar, Ebony
- Advanced Jumbo shape with rounded cut-away and a solid Sitka Spruce top.
- Glued in Mahogany neck with SlimTaper neck profile.
- Rosewood fingerboard with 20 medium frets.
- Rosewood bridge with compensated bone saddle.
- Premium Shadow Performer preamp with volume, high EQ, low EQ, phase and built in chromatic tuner.
Release Date: 2011-06-01
Warranty: Limited Lifetime; Electronics 1 year
The Epiphone AJ-220SCE may be the best value in the acoustic/electric guitar industry today. Since the introduction in 1998 of Epiphone's Advanced Jumbo acoustics, the AJ-220SCE carries on the tradition of unequaled quality and performance for far less than you would expect to pay.
That Legendary "Advanced Jumbo" SoundIn 1936, Gibson introduced the "Advance Jumbo" (AJ) acoustic guitar. With it's one-inch wider 16" lower bout, rounded or sloped shoulder dreadnought shape and a 25.5" scale length, the AJ was a powerful flat-top referred to in later Gibson literature as an "acoustic cannon." Today, this legendary design is carried over with Epiphone's new AJ-220SCE acoustic guitar.
Balanced Tone that Rings Like a BellWith it's bell-like shape featuring a larger lower bout and smaller, round upper bout, the AJ has a very focused and balanced tone. The bass is deep, rich and loud while the highs have a crispness and brilliance that cuts through. Most noticeable however, is the clear mid-range that's never muddy like the typical square-shouldered dreadnought. The result is an AJ acoustic guitar that's often been described as the perfect instrument for the soloist or singer/songwriter with a sound that blends with vocals. And, it's generous and elegant Venetian cutaway enables you to access the upper frets with ease.
Premium ElectronicsThe AJ-220SCE is equipped with Shadow's new "Performer Tuner(tm)" preamp and NanoFlex(TM) pickup system, and comes alive when plugged in. Made by Shadow Germany, the new Performer preamp features all the controls you need to tailor the sounds of your acoustic to suit your playing style, volume level and venue size. Professional features on this state-of-the-art preamp include a built-in chromatic Tuner, Master Volume, Bass, Treble, low Battery indicator and a Phase switch to help eliminate unwanted feedback. It also features a Tuner/Mute button which comes in handy when plugging in or unplugging your guitar. The preamp uses two 2032 lithium watch batteries that are not only lightweight, but provide significantly longer life than old-fashioned, heavy 9V batteries. Under the AJ-220SCE's compensated saddle, is Shadow's proprietary NanoFlex, low-impedance pickup. Not a piezo, this unique flexible sensing material features integrated active electronics and picks up not only string vibration but also top and body vibrations as well for a truly acoustic tone without the harshness of piezos.
Quality Materials and ConstructionWhile the AJ shape plays a big role in it's signature sound, the AJ-220SCE benefits from the use of premium materials and traditional construction methods. The top is made of solid Sitka Spruce that not only sounds great right out of the box, but actually improves as it ages. Complementing this are back and sides made of select Mahogany fitted to a solid Mahogany neck. For great stability, tone and sustain, the neck is glued into the body using TiteBond(TM) glue and a traditional dovetail neck joint. Easy and comfortable to play, the neck shape or profile is Epiphone's classic 1960's SlimTaper(TM) D-shape with a smooth, fast satin finish.
Upscale FeaturesNot typically found on instruments in this price range, Epiphone packs even more value into the AJ-220SCE. Included is a bound fingerboard for a clean look and smooth feel, premium sealed die-cast tuners with 14:1 gear ratio for tuning accuracy and stability, a solid "reverse-belly" Rosewood bridge with compensated saddle for traditional looks and accurate intonation and a tortoise-colored pickguard with traditional metal "E" to protect the top against pick marks.
Peace Of MindThe AJ-220SCE comes with the Epiphone Lifetime Limited Warranty featuring Gibson 24/7/365 Customer Service and guarantees the guitar against defects in materials or workmanship. Now that's performance and VALUE!
- Top Material: Solid Sitka Spruce
- Body Material: Select Mahogany
- Neck Material: Solid Mahogany with satin finish
- Neck Shape: SlimTaper(TM) D-Shape
- Neck Joint: Dovetail; Glued-In
- Scale Length: 25.5"
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with "Dot" inlays
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Trussrod: Adjustable via headstock
- Frets: 20; medium/jumbo
- Binding: 6-Layer body; Front, 1-Layer; Fingerboard
- Nut Width: 1-11/16"
- Hardware: Nickel
- Machine Heads: Sealed, Die-cast; 14:1 ratio
- Bridge Pickup: NanoFlex(TM) low-impedance pickup
- Controls: Shadow Performer Tuner(TM) Preamp, Master Volume, Phase (feedback cancellation), Treble EQ, Bass EQ, Tuner/Mute Button, Built-in Chromatic Tuner
- Power: Two 2032 Lithium Batteries
- Bridge: Solid Rosewood; Reverse-belly
- Saddle: Compensated; PVC
- Pickguard: Simulated Tortoise with metal "E"
- Output Jack: Metal Endpin Jack with 1/4" output
- Strap Buttons: Yes
- Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime